CITRUS TURKEY BRINE RECIPE (at the end 🙃
I’m going to miss Thanksgiving in the states this year since I’ll be in the Philippines for 10 days starting TOMORROW 😳😱😄! I make sure to throw a Thanksgiving potluck with all my friends every year though. This year we celebrated Year 9! I make the turkey every year and they’re usually 20+ pounds 😅 soo when I first started making them I ran into the problem of DRY TURKEY!! Oh noooo. A common problem with turkey and even more common with the larger birds. I learned about 5 years ago a Turkey Brine recipe that was absolutely AMAZING and a totalll game changer!! Now I absolutely always brine my turkey
Ingredients (enough for a 20-25 lb turkey)
-3 cups apple cider vinegar
-1 gallon of water
-2.5 cup of kosher salt
-1.5 cup of brown sugar
-3 oranges, peel the skin off with a peeled and keep
-1 tablespoon of whole peppercorns
-6 bay leaves
-lots of garlic 😉
1. Prepare the thawed turkey (semi thawed is ok too as it will continue to thaw in the brine) wash the turkey and remove the giblets. Place the turkey in a large enough pot, container or bag that will keep the turkey fully submerged. Personally I put my turkey in a roasting bag and put it in a cooler filled with ice because it’s so big!!
2. Skin the oranges with a vegetable peeler, try to avoid the bitter white parts. Cut up the apples.
3. Strip the half a bundle of thyme and about 2-3 sprigs of rosemary and chop up.
4. In a large pot, bring half a gallon of water to a boil and mix in the salt and sugar so they dissolve. Add in apple cider vinegar, garlic, rosemary, thyme, orange peels, peppercorns, apple and bay leaves. Squeeze one orange in. Bring to a boil. Then remove from heat.
5. Add in the other half gallon to cool down the mixture. Sometimes I add in ice instead if I’m running out of time. Let the mixture cool, put in fridge if possible.
6. Pour brine over the turkey, make sure the turkey is breast side down and fully submerged. If it’s floating, weigh it down with a heavy object.
7. Brine for 12-24 hours, covered and cold.
8. When done brining, rinse turkey with cold water and pat dry and prepare your usual way!!